thinking out loud

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

thinking out loud

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Some features/updates I would smile about.
1. Ability to run through-cut pockets after outline. Would be useful in the scenario where the part is a 2-inch wide frame, for example. If the pocket is cut first, that leaves the frame with very little surface area for the vacuum to hold it down effectively. We've had a lot of recuts due to this. If there was an option to cut through-cut pockets last, that would eliminate this issue.
Speaking of through-cut pockets...
2. What about getting control nesting to recognize through-cut pockets as material that is available to nest smaller parts in? For example, let's say I have a 3'x4' 2 inch frame. That cutout in the middle of the frame is definitely big enough to nest some parts in. Would be neat if control nesting saw it that way too.
If I'm not making sense, please comment and I'll try to clarify.
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: thinking out loud

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Tommy Wieler wrote:Some features/updates I would smile about.
1. Ability to run through-cut pockets after outline. Would be useful in the scenario where the part is a 2-inch wide frame, for example. If the pocket is cut first, that leaves the frame with very little surface area for the vacuum to hold it down effectively. We've had a lot of recuts due to this. If there was an option to cut through-cut pockets last, that would eliminate this issue.
I can understand where you're coming from, but it seems like you might be in the same scenario if you reverse the operations. If the outline is done, then go in to do the pockets, there isn't anything keeping the frame in place as the pocket is getting cut free. From curiosity sake, are your pocket through cuts being done in one pass or multiple passes? When I have cut MDF frames in the past I only let the machine do one pass so the MDF dust packs in to hold the frames in place.
2. What about getting control nesting to recognize through-cut pockets as material that is available to nest smaller parts in? For example, let's say I have a 3'x4' 2 inch frame. That cutout in the middle of the frame is definitely big enough to nest some parts in. Would be neat if control nesting saw it that way too.
If I'm not making sense, please comment and I'll try to clarify.
It's been a long time request that time hasn't permitted yet.

-Clint-
Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

Re: thinking out loud

Post by Tommy Wieler »

How we approach it now, I don't let the machine perform the through-cut, and skip ahead to the outline. Then re-cut the sheet, and manually skip ahead in the program to the through-cut. Not sure how to explain it exactly, but in my mind it makes a lot more sense to cut the pocket last. It's kinda like nesting a small part with a collar on a piece of offal. Only in this case, it's not offal, but a part that has already been cut. The whole part is being vacuumed down more effectively because the leftover material inside the through-cut is helping holding the entire part rigid right until the very last moment.
Generally, we have been using multiple passes for through-cut pockets, in the interest of getting the final pass to just trim the skin off, thereby reducing the risk of getting the part pushed around.