Updating Thermwood Software on Nest

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jacob Janzen
Company Name: California Closets

Updating Thermwood Software on Nest

Post by Jacob Janzen »

We recently attempted to install the latest update, however, we're getting errors with dxf file lists; the parts are being imported on a "slant", not square to the material. We had to reverse from .26 to the last patch we had .23 to get it to work properly.

I'm wondering if we need to apply patches in order to avoid this issue, or is dxf part list broken in .26?

We tried going from .23 to .26 and got the errors. Reverting to .23 fixed it. I'm wondering if I need to apply .24, .25 then .26 to avoid problems?

Thanks,
Jacob
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Re: Updating Thermwood Software on Nest

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Jacob,

It is possible that your issue is with the DXF File List. In 6.24, Control Nesting introduced the ability to specify the GRAIN ORIENTATION (or ANGLE) in the list itself. That new feature is of course reflected in the all later versions as well.

Changes/Additions for v6.24 (8/3/2021)
  • Ability to use an angle in degrees for Grain field in DXF List. (ADDED)
From the Control Nesting HELP system:
Grain Field
The Grain field designates whether or not a material has grain. This field can also be an angle value. When an angle in degrees is put in this field, Control Nesting will rotate the part upon loading. Then the part will not be allowed to nest at any angle other than 0º or 180º.
You should check your DXF File List to see what is being specified in the GRAIN field/column. The value/parameter they may be causing the 'skewing' during the load/import.

Hope this helps.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Jacob Janzen
Company Name: California Closets

Post by Jacob Janzen »

Brad,

Thanks! I thought this was an "on" or "off", so I had it set to 1.

Just curious though, can we simply apply the latest update, or should we apply them all in order?

Many thanks,
Jacob
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Jacob,

I believe the the GRAIN field use to be Y/yes or N/no. I am unsure of what the the assumptions were if not a Y/yes or N/no was not specified, but from your reference to "1" (or a non-zero normally understood as TRUE), it looks like anything other than N/no was seen as "YES this has GRAIN". !! I believe that you can still use the Y/yes or N/no specification, where the Y/yes is basically specifying 90°. !!

Of course, with the enhancement to this feature, your "1" is seen as 1°. (That translates as "Rotate the DXF by 1° when loaded and then treat it as if it has GRAIN" - no further rotation other than a possible ±180° flip.)

As for the Control Nesting Updates - historically the updates are cumulative so you do not normally have to apply them all - just the latest version.

I suggest that you always review the list of changes Thermwood provides between your old version to the one you are applying so that you minimize any "surprises" when something seems to suddenly occur/behave differently. The "surprises" are usually easiest to avoid if you update regularly so that the possible transitions appear minor rather than a heap of changes dropped on you all at once!

Note: I reserve the right to have Thermwood correct me at any time. (After all they wrote this stuff! :wink: )
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation