label printers

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

label printers

Post by Tommy Wieler »

Greetings all. Looking for a little input from the thermwood community on this one.
So every once in a while, our Dymo Labelwriter 450 printers quit printing properly, for example, the print head seems to develop a dead spot, and then you get this strip on the label where nothing prints. We've replaced the printer several times over the years, but now we can't seem to find this particular printer anywhere. Maybe Dymo discontinued it? Anyway, we tried getting the Dymo 550 Turbo, but it only works with authentic Dymo labels. The labels we get from CNC Automation don't work in this printer. Any suggestions?
It seems Dymo is using NFC/RFID chips in its labels to make sure that their printers only get used with authentic dymo labels, which is terribly annoying. Wondering if you all are still using the Dymo Labelwriter 450, or have some of you moved to different printers? Any input would be appreciated. thanks.
Joshua Caron
Company Name: Windmill Cabinet Shop LTD

Re: label printers

Post by Joshua Caron »

We are printing on Zebra printers with 2x4 labels with great success.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

This is the cheapest I've seen these but this is what I use https://quilltop.com/products/dymo-labe ... gKu3PD_BwE

I buy the generic labels from Online Labels.com in box qtys.

I've gone through 3 in 20 years so they last a good while. I think they offer one with bluetooth as well.

Hope this helps, Forrest
Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

Post by Tommy Wieler »

This is the cheapest I've seen these but this is what I use https://quilltop.com/products/dymo-labe ... gKu3PD_BwE
That is cheap! Thanks for sharing the link, we were having trouble finding this particular printer.
I buy the generic labels from Online Labels.com in box qtys.
What's your experience with removing these labels after they've been on the parts for a few days? We experimented with Uline labels a while back, but weren't happy with how hard it was to remove the labels cleanly. They kept tearing and leaving residue on the parts.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Tommy,

I have not heard of anyone having issues with our labels and the latest Dymo printers. We are providing these printers with each machine.

Someone from our Parts and/or Service Groups will contact you to try and help you resolve your problem.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hey Tommy,

I've found these to be relatively easy to remove for about 2 weeks and then depending on the temps get harder after that. They do offer a removable label also. If you handle the parts carefully that may work better for you.

Forrest
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Tommy -

I stand corrected. There is an issue with the new Dymo model as it appears that they are trying to lock owners into having to purchase "Genuine Dymo" labels (???).

As you may be aware, our staff have contacted Carl (@ Silverpine) and have suggested the Dymo Labelwriter 4XL. This model can work with "generic" (read: non-Dymo made) labels, including the 30252-format Easy-Remove and Non-Tear Labels that we provide you in bulk.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation