Rectangular Optimization bugs

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Tommy Wieler
Company Name: Silverpine Cabinets

Rectangular Optimization bugs

Post by Tommy Wieler »

I'm really loving the new Rectangular Optimization feature in CN. Here are two bugs I've discovered so far.
1. Does not obey Priorities. When assigning different priority levels to different parts in the nest, the old Next X and Nest Y options both obey the assigned priority. The Rectangular mode does not.
2. Does not use Offals. Completely ignores any added sheets, and begins every nest with a new sheet.
Thomas strembitsky
Guru Member
Company Name: true form cabinets

Re: Rectangular Optimization bugs

Post by Thomas strembitsky »

the off falls have to be rectangular.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 @ 2.70GHz 8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
http://www.trueform.ca
CS43 cnc
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Tommy Wieler wrote:I'm really loving the new Rectangular Optimization feature in CN. Here are two bugs I've discovered so far.
1. Does not obey Priorities. When assigning different priority levels to different parts in the nest, the old Next X and Nest Y options both obey the assigned priority. The Rectangular mode does not.
2. Does not use Offals. Completely ignores any added sheets, and begins every nest with a new sheet.
Priorities does not work with Rectangular, it is greyed out when Rectangular is selected. I'm guessing you were able to set priorities when in True Shape, then switched over to Rectangular and it didn't work.

Thank you both for letting us know about off falls, we will get help manual updated for next version to note they must be rectangular.

-Clint-
Stuart Douglas
Company Name: Bergman Custom Casework LLC

Post by Stuart Douglas »

I've noticed that the rectangular nest also overrides the keep flip ops together parameter. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but I noticed that the drawers for the job I first used the rectangular nesting on, ALL the sheets were flip ops, instead of ganging them all up for the first sheets.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Stuart Douglas wrote:I've noticed that the rectangular nest also overrides the keep flip ops together parameter. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but I noticed that the drawers for the job I first used the rectangular nesting on, ALL the sheets were flip ops, instead of ganging them all up for the first sheets.
Correct, that option is greyed out when rectangular is on and noted in the help manual as unavailable. There are some presort options for True Shape that we can do such as keep flip ops together, but it just isn't an option for rectangular.

-Clint-
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm looking forward to using this new feature, and seeing where yield is truly improved, and where it just makes sense to keep using our previous settings.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Stuart Douglas

Post by Stuart Douglas »

I've noticed that this option also has trouble with added sheets. If there are added sheets of ANY material in the queue, then the rectangular optimization starts with the partial sheets, even if the material specified is completely different thickness. Still happening after the last CN update.
NVME SSM2HD 1TB NTFS
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team

Stuart Douglas wrote: Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:52AM I've noticed that this option also has trouble with added sheets. If there are added sheets of ANY material in the queue, then the rectangular optimization starts with the partial sheets, even if the material specified is completely different thickness. Still happening after the last CN update.
Stuart,

I see the same thing and reported to the software engineers. Thanks for letting us know.

-Clint-