Chatter On MDF Doors

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Platinum_Dave

Chatter On MDF Doors

Post by Platinum_Dave »

Good Morning (Or afternoon) Everyone,

I recently started having issues with chatter marks along the edges of MDF Doors after replacing the tool holder and collet as well as the 3/8" down shear. The reason for replacing was I had to manually remove a tool from the spindle when the machine wasn't able to eject it out into the tool holder on its own. Between the forums and CNC Automation we resolved that issue, I decided not to use that holder anymore so just ended up replacing the tool holder, collet, and tool its-self but now get nasty chatter marks on 1 or 2 or 3 edges, but not all for edges, leaves me baffled.. (See attached photos.)

Any ideas? Thanks In advance for any guidance any of you may have :)
Platinum_Dave

Re: Chatter On MDF Doors

Post by Platinum_Dave »

Tried to post photos but it won't allow me to upload anything larger then 1MB so here is a crappy photo for example :p really the forums should be at 3-5 MB for uploads these days since cameras almost can't take dumbed down photos. And in the end it only allows me to get HEVC photos at a rate of under 1MB so I won't be able to upload pics to help! Sorry folks. Spent 20 minutes trying to get photos for help and give up on trying to post pics on the forums, private message me your email and I'll attach them and email them if you need.......
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Only one thing, causes stuck tools ,
Dirty, Rusty tool holders and collets and spindle
at lot of time, caused by moisture in the air supply,
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Platinum_Dave

Post by Platinum_Dave »

Will Williamson wrote:Only one thing, causes stuck tools ,
Dirty, Rusty tool holders and collets and spindle
at lot of time, caused by moisture in the air supply,

I agree! Moisture in air supply and overheating. Anyway with that already taken care of I am looking for advice on the Chatter issue as per post :P Was just curious if anyone knew why a new tool holder, collet and bit would cause this.