Virtual Hard Drive

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Virtual Hard Drive

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Is there a way to make a virtual hard drive, using ram memory as a temporary HD, and run eCabs within it? Was hoping to try to speed things up. :mrgreen:
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Re: Virtual Hard Drive

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

I may be just missing something, but if you've got that much RAM ecabinets wont need to access the virtual memory. That is the speed killer.
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

You could try getting a solid state hard drive, which should be quicker than a normal drive, even a WD raptor, but no, i don't think you'll be able to do what you are after just using your RAM. In vista, you can use your memory stick as a speed boost, but don't know if that will help either
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Leo Graywacz wrote:Is there a way to make a virtual hard drive, using ram memory as a temporary HD, and run eCabs within it? Was hoping to try to speed things up. :mrgreen:
Since eCabinets has to be installed to a static path, I wouldn't think this is possible. Do you have virtual memory set to a static size or do you "let Windows decide?"
Bryan J Tanner wrote:I may be just missing something, but if you've got that much RAM ecabinets wont need to access the virtual memory. That is the speed killer.
Accessing virtual memory is not the problem, expanding virtual memory is a problem. This is why you should set virtual memory to 3072MB minimum and 4096MB maximum.
jason galbraith wrote:You could try getting a solid state hard drive, which should be quicker than a normal drive, even a WD raptor, but no, i don't think you'll be able to do what you are after just using your RAM. In vista, you can use your memory stick as a speed boost, but don't know if that will help either
SSDs typically have very low capacities...40-60GB. The WD Raptor is not an SSD, it is a 10,000 RPM internal disk. Using a memory stick to boost Vista performance only works for storing the working set when the system goes into hibernation. Vista can look for the contents of RAM on a memory stick when returning from hibernation.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Leo,
There have been many recent technical and product changes regarding this subject and SSD's.
Here is a very interesting article to read on the status of things that sets it all out nicely: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... nomyId=149
Since Windows 7 is the first OS to provide effective management of SSD's (solid state hard drives) it may all be heading where you want to go.
I jumped on the 50% off sale on windows 7 Pro, and when it arrives in the fall, I may add an SSD since they are now up to 160Gig in size and run my Operating system and eCabs there. We'll see how it all goes. Fun, fun, fun. Now, the question is.......how well will eCabs run on windows 7?
regards,
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Peter,
I am looking at a SSD purchase which are quite cheap now. Did you get around to trying this with Ecabinets?
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Neville,
I haven't yet bought an SSD. I got sidetracked and spent the money elsewhere. I will have to wait.
regards,
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

No worries Peter.
I believe the new version of windows does support the SSD and they are about $180 for a 64 gig. The 128 Gig is also available for about $100 more I think in my neck of the woods.
I believe Ecabinets version 6 will work with Windows 7 so it could be what Ecabinets users need.
If Dean is reading this maybe he knows if the purchase is worth while?

All the best

Neville
Neville Australia
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

I've been following SSD development for a little while now and have not decided to move any of our equipment (servers or desktops) to SSD's just yet. This is a fairly new technology, while not far removed from the typical USB flash drive, they are quite different beasts. SSD's must keep track of the reads and the writes to every cell to help balance use evenly throughout the drive. Performance of SSD's also varies significantly among vendors and models. What's got me most worried is if an SSD fails, can I extract any data from it like I can with disk drive recovery companies?

Personally, I'm keeping a watch for now. Probably for about another year.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Dean for your point of view. The failure may be a issue of the SSD so maybe a background hourly backup program may be the requirement so only a few hours of data is lost.
Maybe when you do start testing the SSD's Dean you could share your results the same way you have with the video cards.
I guess Microsoft has invited you to the big party this Thursday?

He he
Regards
Neville
Neville Australia