Disappearing Cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

James Melvin

Disappearing Cabinets

Post by James Melvin »

Since the recent time update I began a new kitchen in room layout and populated it with cabinets from a couple of my personal libraries that have never posed a problem. I saved the room and when I reopened the job the next day there were at least 6 cabinets missing. I replaced the cabinets, saved, closed, reopened and presto-changeo more cabinets were missing (some the same as before plus some new ones). In my new attempt to repopulate the room the act of placing the second cabinet next to the one I just placed actually caused the first one I placed to vanish (plus the cabinet I was trying to place did not place). Keystroke Esc followed by refresh of overhead view revealed my room shrunk to 25% normal with the vanished cabinet in far corner of screen. Other weirdness: When some of the cabinets from the room are taken to the CE I immediately get a msg that the resulting change has resulted in an unworkable end. What change?! There were a couple of posts early in Dec. where people were having some issues like this. Anyone else out there? In its current condition I fear my software unusable.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Disappearing Cabinets

Post by Scott G Vaal »

James,

Sorry for the late response. The first thing I want to state is that the current V6Bld7 is an exact carbon copy of V6Bld6 with only the expiration date extended. So, any issues that you may be experiencing would have happened with the previous build as well. (I state this with 99.9999999% confidence, as I do not want to be caught by Murphy’s law on this one. LOL). Now, with that said, I am not denying that you experienced an issue with your job. I am aware of just a couple of others that have experience something resembling what you explained here. Unfortunately, the job in its current state will probably need to be abandoned and redone from scratch. I spent at least two days trying to reproduce this issue on Win7 and XP systems here without any luck. Obviously I probably do not have your exact system or your virus/malware/spyware software. I can only assume that you have these set to exclude eCabinet Systems files and locations. What I ask of you, since you have experienced this, is to do your best to watch out for this on new jobs and give us any clues you can as to the steps that you take during your room building process. What can help us the most is if you save often and in incrementing versions (example: save as John and Mary Doe Kitchen1.esj and then after a few modifications, save as John and Mary Doe Kitchen2.esj etc…). Then reload the job after each version save and see if all appears to be OK, then repeat the process. If you run into the issue, you will be better able to remember what you may have done from version 9 to version 10 rather then all the things that happened from 1 to 10. I know this may be an inconvenience for you to do this, but at this point, I do not know what else to try to make it happen here. If we can reproduce it, we can fix it. If you have any questions about this feel free to ask or call in.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
James Melvin

Post by James Melvin »

Hi Scott-

Thanks for replying. I did just what you said- I threw out the entire job and started from scratch and I have not had a repeat of the problem. In the "problem" room I did create a "stem" wall in the middle of a long wall and at right angles to it. In the new room I created for the same job I left that stem wall out. I have no idea if this was a causative factor. I simply know it is something I left out the second time and the problem did not recur.

Before I forgot to mention that the first thing that began to show up as a problem was cabinet placement. I usually keep Align to Back selected unless I am tweaking position but align to back began to act strange, placing cabinets within walls and on the wrong side of walls.

Sure hope this never happens again but if it does I will try to record events so we can solve the problem.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

James,

Thanks for the feedback. Any little clue could help. Some times issues only happen by very specific steps that a user takes, so the more info you can give us the better. Not sure if I understand what you mean by a "stem" wall, but I would not think it is related to this situation (but you never know). If you still have this bad job, and it is not too large, you can zip it up and attach it here or sent it to me at {cabinets@thermwood.com} {attn: Scott} and I will examine it for clues. The reason align to back acted strange is because there were cabinets in existence but not visually seen in the room. I feel that something interrupted the saving process and damaged the job file or you tap danced on some elusive specific steps that caused the save process to partially fail (but of course this is just speculation unless we are able to reproduce it). Thanks again.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000