Nest rectangular. Edge Banding onn oposite side

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Nest rectangular. Edge Banding onn oposite side

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Guys.
The rectangular nesting does appear to be more efficient.
I've used the new nest rectangular optimizing a couple of times now.
Both times the edging on the labels has printed on the opposite edge to which it is meant to go.
Has anyone else encountered this?

Two other things that seem to upset the nesting procedure.
One is the new rectangular nesting with part editor cuts.
They nest but the nesting patterns look wrong in the cutting preview.
Its as if the PE cuts are in the middle of the panels.
We haven't cut these layouts, just reverted to normal nesting which displays correctly.
Not sure if the incorrect visuals would cut properly. Has any one else has noticed this?

The last one is grouped, wood grain doors. I get a message, encountered an improper argument, and have to close and reopen control nesting to select one of the other nesting methods.

I can send the job in if needed, just wondering , others have probably encountered this?

After a little further digging, If I nest everything together, (3 materials) its goes all the way through and writes CNC.
Its when I select 1 or 2 materials it has problems nesting. But the PE cuts still look wrong in the nest.

PS
Also from last year, too close to Christmas to be bothered to chase.
We had one job, used the new :Nest rectangular:
The flip ops seemed to be distributed onto sheets after laying out the regular pieces.
We saved 5 flip op sheets by grouping the small flip ops together.
Like I say it was not worth the time before Christmas and it could have been a setting but I had a quick look and everything seem like before.

Thanking you
Mark
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Nest rectangular. Edge Banding onn oposite side

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Mark McCallum wrote:Hi Guys.
The rectangular nesting does appear to be more efficient.
I've used the new nest rectangular optimizing a couple of times now.
Both times the edging on the labels has printed on the opposite edge to which it is meant to go.
Has anyone else encountered this?

Can you get me a job for this one, as well as some pictures of labels? I tested by taking Standard Upper Frameless, applying edge banding to the front edges, then putting a Part Editor cut along the front edge so I could match them up. My labels came out correct with the intent to label from the pop pin side of the machine.

Two other things that seem to upset the nesting procedure.
One is the new rectangular nesting with part editor cuts.
They nest but the nesting patterns look wrong in the cutting preview.
Its as if the PE cuts are in the middle of the panels.
We haven't cut these layouts, just reverted to normal nesting which displays correctly.
Not sure if the incorrect visuals would cut properly. Has any one else has noticed this?

Can you get me a job for this one as well? My nests appear correct in sheet images. Also verify you are on the latest version of Control Nesting 7.07 as we have done a fair amount of work recently for sheet images.

The last one is grouped, wood grain doors. I get a message, encountered an improper argument, and have to close and reopen control nesting to select one of the other nesting methods.

I get this same error and have put it in for the software engineers to look at.

I can send the job in if needed, just wondering , others have probably encountered this?

After a little further digging, If I nest everything together, (3 materials) its goes all the way through and writes CNC.
Its when I select 1 or 2 materials it has problems nesting. But the PE cuts still look wrong in the nest.

PS
Also from last year, too close to Christmas to be bothered to chase.
We had one job, used the new :Nest rectangular:
The flip ops seemed to be distributed onto sheets after laying out the regular pieces.
We saved 5 flip op sheets by grouping the small flip ops together.
Like I say it was not worth the time before Christmas and it could have been a setting but I had a quick look and everything seem like before.

Correct, keeping parts with flip operations together in nest is not available with Rectangular Optimization. If you search the help manual for Rectangular Optimization there is a topic that lists the limitations. The only one I can think that is not listed is it does not obey Priorities. With True Shape nesting, you sometimes end up with worse yield when flip ops are grouped together, but you trade that for less chance there being an issue when flipping a sheet.

Thanking you
Mark
Mark,

See my replies above in red.

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Clint
Thanks for the reply.
Just sent those files
Looked up Rectangular optimization as you suggested
See the little window in the help menu that shows the nest closet to home and furthest from home for offall?
You can call me dumb and blind, But I cant see that window? :?
I know my nests were closest to home, because I noticed it was different nesting. but I cant find that setting.

Okay I just noticed I have to update the super control, I'll do that as soon as I have time.
Thanking you
Mark

20230202_224018.jpg
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Mark,

Haven't dug into the labels one yet but my day is getting away from me so I want to post to let you know about the profiles issue. There is a bug with profiles and Rectangular Optimization when it is set to Closest to Home. With it set to Furthest from Home the issue doesn't seem to be there. That setting is found under Nesting Parameters.

I'll let you know about labels once I've had a chance to look at it.

EDIT: I looked at the labels issue, it is the same as the profile issue. When it is set to Closest to Home the wrong side is set to label. Setting it to Furthest from Home seems to work. Both issues are reported to software engineers.

-Clint-
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Thanks Clint :beer: