is there Quicker ways to add leg predrills?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nicholas Kiss
Company Name: Clearcut

is there Quicker ways to add leg predrills?

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

is there a certain kd pattern or something like that in order to add these legs much easier (i do not do sets to show how many numbers have to be typed in)

i just want a pattern that could be added to the deck of the cabinet just for 3 holes instead of part editing everything

the numbers are just for the red circled things
legs.PNG
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: is there Quicker ways to add leg predrills?

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Nicholas.
I think the way i would do this, is to take that bottom shelf as it is now with all the holes in the correct positions, into the part editor. ( perhaps set up a 250mm / 10 inch one for the template)( So the pattern doesn't load off the part)
Go into the contour area, (the button in between grid and Front view and back view)
Create edges and save the pattern.

Pick a new cabinet.
Load the deck.
Go to part editor.
into contour.
load this pattern.
Delete superfluous lines with the inside intersect window eraser. (Edit, you can do this before you save the pattern, which is more efficient,)
Back to part editor.
Select back view to put the holes into the bottom of the deck
Right click mouse.
Select cut /pocket using closed contour.
CTRL A
Do your pockets.
Some will be in the correct position some wont, but the 4 hole leg patterns are already positioned
Return to main.
Go to Constraints manager.
Click sets, choose create set.
Drag and create a set for the left hand side.
Drag and create a set for the right hand side.
Add 2 constraints to each set and it should be good to go.
If you want to constrain from front and back that's 4 sets instead of 2.

Let us know how you go,
I haven't done legs for a while and from memory, because of the way ecabs stores the information, if you do certain width, depth or height adjustments, part editor cuts in the deck get removed.

I made a suggestion for adding constraints in the attached thread which I think would be useful and would also speed up the constraining process,
https://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewto ... ger#p81937

Having said, that I have streamlined a lot of my part editor processing since then by using certain methods like the one I describe above.

I would be interested in what methods or techniques other users would use to do this sort of thing.

Hope this is useful for you. :D
Nicholas Kiss
Company Name: Clearcut

Re: is there Quicker ways to add leg predrills?

Post by Nicholas Kiss »

Mark McCallum wrote: Mon, Dec 11 2023, 6:12PM Hi Nicholas.
I think the way i would do this, is to take that bottom shelf as it is now with all the holes in the correct positions, into the part editor. ( perhaps set up a 250mm / 10 inch one for the template)( So the pattern doesn't load off the part)
Go into the contour area, (the button in between grid and Front view and back view)
Create edges and save the pattern.

Pick a new cabinet.
Load the deck.
Go to part editor.
into contour.
load this pattern.
Delete superfluous lines with the inside intersect window eraser. (Edit, you can do this before you save the pattern, which is more efficient,)
Back to part editor.
Select back view to put the holes into the bottom of the deck
Right click mouse.
Select cut /pocket using closed contour.
CTRL A
Do your pockets.
Some will be in the correct position some wont, but the 4 hole leg patterns are already positioned
Return to main.
Go to Constraints manager.
Click sets, choose create set.
Drag and create a set for the left hand side.
Drag and create a set for the right hand side.
Add 2 constraints to each set and it should be good to go.
If you want to constrain from front and back that's 4 sets instead of 2.

Let us know how you go,
I haven't done legs for a while and from memory, because of the way ecabs stores the information, if you do certain width, depth or height adjustments, part editor cuts in the deck get removed.

I made a suggestion for adding constraints in the attached thread which I think would be useful and would also speed up the constraining process,
https://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewto ... ger#p81937

Having said, that I have streamlined a lot of my part editor processing since then by using certain methods like the one I describe above.

I would be interested in what methods or techniques other users would use to do this sort of thing.

Hope this is useful for you. :D
Yes this helps! would make it much quicker but still i was looking for something more automatic, like adding predrills to the front of a drawer box to screw drawer front together using a kd pattern and adding that to the slide mount adding the predrills automatically

seems there isn't any way to do this but contour lines would still make this quicker so thanks! appreciate the reply