Tool assignment?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Tool assignment?

Post by Terry Davis »

How do I force the machine to use a specific bit to do a certain job? Example: I ordered a 3/8" downspiral to do a shallow pocket without chipping, how do I force the machine to use the 3/8" downspiral in toolholder #7 instead of the usual 3/8" compression in toolholder #1.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Re: Tool assignment?

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Terry,

What you will need to do is change the diameter of the two tools. Odds are the tools have different diameters if measured with calipers. If so, then put the actual diameter of the tools in tool management. If not, change the diameter of the compression bit to .374 and then change the diameter of the down spiral to .376. After you do this you will need to go into the CN settings area and change the diameter of your pocket tool to your actual downspiral's diameter or .376 depending on what you used in tool management. Your compression bit will still work for all the operations you have it intended for as long as the tolerance in the tooling area is set for .001. If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact me directly, 1-800-221-3865 ext 245.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Thanks Dan, I will give it a try...
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Terry,

If that doesn't fix your problem one thing to remember is that CN looks for the apropriate tools in the order they are placed. So switch your tools around in the order they will be used and this should fix it.

Forrest
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

I tried it today, the downspiral measured .370 and the re-sharpened compression measures .364 so Dans method worked out well.