changing materials almost doubles file size ?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

greg youngken
Company Name: Grali inc.

changing materials almost doubles file size ?

Post by greg youngken »

Hi guys, I've been having trouble w/ a job layout and noticed that the file sizes were almost double by changing materials. I have a clean library that is a dark wood color, I made a new sheet stock material a light color wood and from the cabinet editor changed the sheet stock and the handles. I used the texture match feature in the cab editor on the doors, fronts and mouldings. There where some minor cab changes mostly w/dementions. I saved the cabs in a new library intending to have a light wood selection. Then I pulled the cabs from the new library into the layout. The total file size on this layout is only 5.5 megs and it's acting like it's 20 megs, I was having problems saving, and getting an out of memory error while trying to render. I run 2 gigs ram and had plenty left at the time I was getting these errors. Did I change color the wrong way or something, I wanted to do it in the cab editor so I could save each cab to a new library. I checked a couple of my other jobs and they run fine. Any sugestions ?
Grali inc. / Greg Youngken
grali.com
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Greg

Could you post a cabinet that is giving you problems?

Thanks
Walker
Dickey Beckham

Post by Dickey Beckham »

I too am having some problem with change material not the size but
in the change, I can change ever part of the cabinet by useing change
material in custom layout or Global setting in Construction setting and or
the Match texture. But for the mid stile and Rails i can not get these to change texture the only way is to delete them and add new one. Any help on this.

Thanks.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Re:

Post by Mike Seisser »

Dickey Beckham wrote:I too am having some problem with change material not the size but
in the change, I can change ever part of the cabinet by useing change
material in custom layout or Global setting in Construction setting and or
the Match texture. But for the mid stile and Rails i can not get these to change texture the only way is to delete them and add new one. Any help on this.

Thanks.
The software has always acted this way, it's not a bug, per se. In the faceframe settings on Page 2 it specifically says 'Add Mid Rail Material' and 'Add Mid Stile Material'. I always assumed that because these aren't parts of a 'standard' cabinet (meaning they dont appear in every cabinet - you are adding them) that this was done intentionally.

However, I would like to see it changed so that if we change material after adding mid rails and mid stiles they would also change.

Mike
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dickey,
You don't have to delete them and add new. After changing your material and or mid-stile or mid-rail size in construction settings/face frames, take your cabinet into the face frame editor use the Ctrl key and click to highlight all of the stiles and rails you want to change. Click on construction settings which will open in the face frame tab, click on page 2 then click OK to exit. When you exit construction settings your cabinet will re-generate with the new face frame settings. Save the cabinet.
Kerry
Dickey Beckham

Post by Dickey Beckham »

Thanks Guys
I tryed that kerry, and it worked greate thanks .I new i should have ask about this before, but i was waiting on someone the bring it up, The time this will save by not having to go back and delete the stiles and rail and adding new doors and drawer, (Priceless) And the next time i will not just wait until someone brings it up, I will just ASK.
Thanks
greg youngken

Post by greg youngken »

I'm posting a cab from my origanal library ( the dark wood ) and then from the changed color ( light wood ). It's not one cab that's giving me trouble, it's when I am building the room layout and have ten cabs in a room the file just really slows down and does strange things like I mentioned in my first post. I've built much bigger rooms and have not had any trouble. This is the first time I've changed color on an existing set of cabs and it seems like it's affecting how well my system was running e-cabs.
Attachments
30 maple sink.jpg
30 maple sink.jpg (16.21 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
30 maple sink.hsf
dark wood clean file
(428.52 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
30 maple sink.hsf
light wood made from the dark wood clean file
(633.66 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
grali.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

greg youngken,

Are you by chance; changing the colors by changing the jpg images in the system?
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
greg youngken

Post by greg youngken »

Michael, that's pretty funny , how do you do that ? Just kidding, I did get a chuckle out of that. No... I am changing to new sheet stock that is a different color as discribe in the top of the post. I know you might be thinking the files have the same name, they are from to different librarys. Can I not do that?
Last edited by greg youngken on Mon, Apr 09 2007, 6:49PM, edited 1 time in total.
grali.com
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Actually Greg,

You can change the system jpeg files, with a paint program. It has happenned; that someone will alter these images, by taking a snap shot of a wood grain and replacing the files in the system folder. Thus giving the new image in leu of the old color. And, in doing so... saving these files to anything larger than they are will significantly reduce performance of your sistem.

I admit, it was a jump out there but I was curious.... :roll:
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
greg youngken

Post by greg youngken »

Yeh, I hear you . I'm really curious too. Just can't figure what I could have done wronge. I know changes to cabs increases the file size, but that's allot and really is slowing things down.
grali.com