Need to cut 96" length on CS41-48

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Need to cut 96" length on CS41-48

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

A rather odd thing about the CS41-48 is that technically it is a 48 x 96 machine, but you cannot cut a 96" long panel without the machine going out of bounds. As far as I know, you can cut anything less, but not 96".

Does anyone have any suggestions for fooling the controller to allow that little bit extra? It doesn't appear it would put the machine in physical danger, and it sure would save me a lot of backache, since I have to cut 96" stuff on the table saw.

I tried changing the table dimension in CN to 97", and it did nest, but went into E-Stop when it actually tried to cut. Tried "nest to edge of sheet" also. Collar is set to 0. Still no go. All I need is that extra fraction of an inch... any ideas?
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Need to cut 96" length on CS41-48

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Jeremy,

In order to avoid the limit error in X axis, you would need to increase the colar setting to something such as .06" or .125" to allow more material around perimeter of sheet as off-fall.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Ryan -

I believe that Jeremy's issue is that he cannot cut a part that has a finished length of 96".

Jeremy -

My memory may be failing me but with the CS41, I believe that there are limits that are exactly 48" in the Y and 96" in the X. Not sure if there is any "extra" in the rails and/or drive mechanisms (screws and/or racks) that would allow for any sort of extension.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Ryan Hochgesang

The Toolchange safety zone which is near the back of table (near HOME of X axis) is likely preventing the full 96" perimeter cut, thus my suggestion of sheet colar to move parts inward on sheet to eliminate out of bounds error.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Jeremy

Can you please translate this into metric talk! :P lol

Cheers

Thom Davies
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Ryan,

Jeremy should perhaps confirm this but...

As I mentioned earlier, I believe that Jeremy's issue is that he cannot cut a part that has a finished length of 96". So, if he has a refrigerator end panel or other part that is EXACTLY 96" long - he is finding that he unable to cut it on his CS41.

I don't know if the CS41's limits can be changed to accommodate parts this long. There could be physical limitations at the far end with respect to travel and the rails/screw and possible collisions with tools in the barstyle changer at the other end.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

You're right, Brad. A 96" (2438mm Thom!) long part cannot be cut on the 41. Since it was advertised as a 4x8 machine, I assumed at the time that it would be able to cut a part 8' long. Had I known that wasn't the case, I wouldn't have purchased it, because it's very common for someone to want shelf stock or closet parts that are 96" long...not to mention the fact that sheet goods often are 49" x 97", and hang off the table by an inch in X and Y.

But anyway, since I'm kinda stuck with it now, I'm trying to figure out a workaround besides the table saw. It seems to be able to travel quite far off the far end of the table in X, far enough to hit the flip fence bracket. Maybe I'll put some shims under that to give it a little extra room, redefine G901 and 902, change the table size in CN, and that may give me the 1/4" or so that I need to be able to cut around a 96" perimeter with a 3/8" bit.

If that works, I'll post the steps and a picture or two, as I'm sure the other CS41 owners would appreciate the ability to cut 96" parts.

If it doesn't work, perhaps someone here will volunteer to help me pick the gantry up off the floor after I accidentally run it off the end. :wink:
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Ryan Hochgesang

Jeremy,

If you get a moment, give me a call to discuss this topic.

1800 221 3865 ext 247

If you do not reach me immediately, leave your contact info. and I will get back to you asap.