custom layout / part editor bug

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

mikesand

custom layout / part editor bug

Post by mikesand »

Hello everyone,

When I take cabinets from the custom layout area into the cabinet editor (select cabinet / adjust cabinet features / edit cabinet) I cannot take a part of that cabinet into the part editor. A message comes up saying \"The edited or unedited body for this part was not found\". I have tried rebuilding the cabinet by clicking the OK on the construction preferences dialogue, saving the cabinet in the editor and re-saving the job under the same and a new name; none of these worked. The odd thing is that if I open the same cabinet directly in the cabinet editor (I save the cabinets in the custom layout in the editor when I make changes) I get the same error. I opened older saved versions of the job and there was no issue, and some of the cabinets that I cannot take into the part editor from the custom layout can be done if I open the cabinet directly in the cabinet editor. It seems that some of the cabinets I can take to the part editor, but most I cant. I cannot find any commonalities between them.

I am going to include the file with this post. The cabinet that I am trying to work on is the \"Refer cabinet\". I need to make some cuts on the top of this cabinet.

Also, I am running build 4.

I thank you for the help.

Mike
Attachments
sanders kitchen layout.esj
Kitchen job
(3.62 MiB) Downloaded 337 times
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Did you build this job in build 4? Could you give me a general run down of how you made this room? Are there any part editor cuts on any of the cabinets?
Thanks
Walker
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Mike,

Edit to add: Very interesting... Taking the cabinet into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor and removing all cuts solves the problem.

My original post:
When I take the cabinet into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor I get the same identical error.

I noticed that the cabinet is called \"refer cabinet-MOD1\", as if it was not saved... I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Even after I save the cabinet I still get the same error if I open it in the Cabinet/Assembly Editor.

BUT, if I take the cabinet from the Custom Layout into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor, and replace the top and sides, essentially rebuilding the cabinet, I can THEN take each part into the Part Editor and make changes.

I am not sure if this will help you at all, but wanted to point out that it is possible to redo your cabinet without losing a lot more time on this.

Al
Attachments
refer_cab_ChangedTop.jpg
refer_cab_ChangedTop.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 8692 times
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

I started this job 3 months ago, so there has probably been 2 or 3 builds used. However I think that all the cabinets in there now were made in build 4 except a couple. But the seed cabinet is probably a build 2 or 3.

I noticed the \"mod 1\" extensions as well. I can't seem to loose that extension no matter how I save the cabinets or job. To make it more complicated some of those \"mod 1\" cabinets can be \"part edited\".

The only cabinets that have part editor cuts are the radiused cabinets, one of which is an assembly.

I built the room first, then added cabinets that were made in the cabinet editor first. Most were resized to fit in various ways, some several times. Some of the cabinets had a lot of construction pref changes (stile widths, f-frame scribe amounts, opening deminsion changes for shelves and f-frames) that were made after being placed in the layout. The \"refer cabinet\" did not have any part editor cuts made at all. The only odd change has been the top's negative inset values.

thanks for your help I will try Al's solution of removing editor cuts, even though there are none!

Keepin' on keepin' on,

Mike
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

OK,

Well Al's solution seems to fix it. If I select the cabinet while in the cabinet editor and choose remove all part editor cuts the cabinet rebuilds and I can take parts into the part editor.

Interestingly the \"mod 1\" extension to the cabinet name dosen't go away when I return to the custom layout.

I really apreciate yalls help resolving this, the job is nearly ready for the CNC so I don't want to start any thing over now.

Mike
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Anytime you place a cabinet into a room layout, -Mod x is added to the name. For example if you were to add 4 copies of a cabinet named B30FF to a room, they would be named B30FF-Mod1, B30FF-Mod2, B30FF-Mod3 and B30FF-Mod4.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

I don't see that at all when I add cabinets in Custom Layout, Dan. Is the suffix added within the data base, or should it show up in the Custom Layout when you hover over a cabinet, or when you take the cabinet into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor?

I have always thought that the MOD1, MOD2, etc., suffix always meant that the cabinet had been modified somehow. And if I add the same cabinet, modified it by taking it from the Custom Layout into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor, modify it and take it back to Custom Layout, THEN the name would display the suffix. But if I take the same cabinet, make the changes, save it, and THEN load it into the Custom Layout, no suffix appears for this cabinet added last.

Interesting conundrum.

Al
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

This is from the systems manual:

Note that if the cabinet has been modified in the Detail Room area from the original saved cabinet, the suffix –MOD is added to the cabinet name indicating that it is modified version of the cabinet name shown.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Thanks, Rick. Following your lead, I found this only minutes ago by searching the electronic version of the manual. I am unable to locate it in the Training Guide, though.

What is interesting with Mike's original post is that somehow the cabinet behaved as if it had Part Editor cuts. Walker was the first one to address this - and the item was active when right-clicking on the cabinet in the Cabinet/Assembly Editor.

Al
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I just took that cab to the CE tried to remove PE cuts from the entire cab, no go. So then highlighted the top and was able to remove PE cuts, did so, after that I was able to take parts to the PE. :?:
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

lol. very odd.

I always wonder if every ones ecab program is working the same. This time different folks are getting different results.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

The question is were there PE cuts done to the top in the first place?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Al Navas wrote:I don't see that at all when I add cabinets in Custom Layout, Dan. Is the suffix added within the data base, or should it show up in the Custom Layout when you hover over a cabinet, or when you take the cabinet into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor?

I have always thought that the MOD1, MOD2, etc., suffix always meant that the cabinet had been modified somehow. And if I add the same cabinet, modified it by taking it from the Custom Layout into the Cabinet/Assembly Editor, modify it and take it back to Custom Layout, THEN the name would display the suffix. But if I take the same cabinet, make the changes, save it, and THEN load it into the Custom Layout, no suffix appears for this cabinet added last.

Interesting conundrum.

Al
You're right... :oops: I was looking at a room that had several copies of the same cabinet and all had the MOD x suffix. After reading your response I looked again and the cabinets had indeed all been modified (resized) in the room.

Sorry for causing confusion.
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

Rick Palechuk wrote:The question is were there PE cuts done to the top in the first place?
mikesand wrote:...I started this job 3 months ago, so there has probably been 2 or 3 builds used. However I think that all the cabinets in there now were made in build 4 except a couple. But the seed cabinet is probably a build 2 or 3.

The only cabinets that have part editor cuts are the radiused cabinets, one of which is an assembly...
and
mikesand wrote:...I always wonder if every ones ecab program is working the same. This time different folks are getting different results.

Rick: Mike might be able to answer your question.

Mike: Do you remember if your computer crashed at any point in the last three months, while working on this job?

At this point I am convinced that Kerry's incremental saving strategy is THE BEST way to prevent problems in the event of a system crash. I have become paranoid about system crashes, although I have yet to experience one that results in damage to a job or to the eCabs file system.

For Jason and the development Team:

1. I wonder WHAT might corrupt a cabinet such that it behaves as if it has PE cuts, if we users don't make any cuts to it?

2. Is it a data base integrity issue?

3. Can the data base be checked for integrity somehow?

4. Can the data base be fixed if found to be corrupt?

Al
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:You're right... :oops: I was looking at a room that had several copies of the same cabinet and all had the MOD x suffix. After reading your response I looked again and the cabinets had indeed all been modified (resized) in the room.

Sorry for causing confusion.
No problem, Dan! Some days I look at the computer screen with a blank look on my face :lol: , then go jump in the pool, come back refreshed, and all is fine 8) .

Al